Support the Horse


Colorado License Plates

May 14, 2008 was a great day for equus Coloradus—the horses in Colorado—when Governor Bill Ritter signed Senate Bill 178 into a law creating a special license plate honoring the contributions the horse industry makes to the culture and economy of Colorado. The bill was sponsored by Senator Jim Isgar and Representative Marsha Looper, both strong proponents of the state’s agricultural interests.

Scroll down to the FAQ’s to learn more about how you can sport the “Support the Horse” License Plates on your vehicles.

Frequent Questions

How do I purchase the “Support the Horse” License Plates?

Getting your special plates is a two-step process:

  1. Purchase an electronic certificate pin number directly from CHDA or at the Equine City Hall authorizing you to purchase the plates.  The electronic  Certificate pin number will come to you in an email to you phone or computer.
  2. When arriving at the DMV office, provide the County Clerk with the electronic pin number, pay the state’s special-plate fee plus your regular registration, and receive your new “Support the Horse” plates.
When will the plates be available for purchase?

The certificate pin numbers are available for purchase now.

How much do the plates cost?

Year 1 Costs – $90 plus vehicle registration fees and taxes.

  • $40 to CHDA  (proceeds to benefit the horse industry in Colorado.)
  • $50 to Highway Users Tax Fund and Licensing Services Cash Fund (payable to DMV at the time of registration.)
  • Vehicle registration taxes and fees.

Year 2 and Beyond Costs = Normal vehicle registration taxes and fees.

  • Vehicle registration taxes and fees.
  • Individuals are not required to make an annual donation to keep the license plates.
How do I obtain a certificate?

The certificates can be purchased in any of these ways:

  • Click here to purchase online
  • Download the printable order form (using the button above) and mail it along with a check made payable to Colorado Horse Development Authority (CHDA) to:

Colorado Horse Development Authority
22 S. 4th Ave., #106
Brighton, CO 80601

  • Call 303-292-4981 to order by phone.
Can you email or fax my certificate?

Yes, the entire process is electronic.  Once the purchase of the electronic certificate pin has been verified, an electronic notice will be sent directly to your phone, tablet or computer, wherever you receive email.

Are the $40.00 and $50.00 one-time fees, or will I have to pay them each year?

Both are one-time fees only. Each year after that you will only have to pay your regular registration fee.

Can I get personalized plates?

Yes. If you already have personalized plates and want to transfer them to a “Support the Horse” license plate you will need to go to and fill out a Personalized Plate Conversion form. There will be an additional fee of $60.00 to obtain personalized plates. Please be aware that when you choose personalized plates the logo of the horse in the middle of the plate will go away, and you will have a solid green license plate with “Support the Horse” written across the bottom of the plate.

Can I transfer my current plate number to a “Support the Horse” plate?

Unfortunately, no.

What types of vehicles can I put the plate on?

“Support the Horse” license plates are made for cars, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles and farm trucks. Plates are not available for trailers and farm tractors.

My current registration expires in a week, what can I do?

We can usually get the electronic pin number to you in a matter of minutes during the week.  If you have to renew your plates, go ahead and renew your current license plates, as well as purchase your “Support the Horse” certificate pin number. Once you receive your “Support the Horse”  electronic certificate pin you can take it to the DMV and transfer your registration to the “Support the Horse” plates. Please contact your County Motor Vehicle Office for details and information of fees.

My current vehicle registration doesn’t expire until next year. Do I have to wait until then to get my “Support the Horse” license plates?

No, you can take the electronic certificate pin to your Colorado County Motor Vehicle office anytime. The DMV will issue a credit for any unused months left on your registration, and renew your plates for one year from the date of purchase.

Can I take my application and donation to the DMV?

No, the DMV cannot issue the electronic certificate pin or accept the donation for CHDA.  The process starts with the purchase at the CHDA website or at the Equine City Hall.

I live out of state. Can I still get a Support the Horse license plate?

No, unfortunately these plates are only available to Colorado residents. The DMV cannot issue a license plate to an out of state vehicle.

What does CHDA do with my $40.00?

The money collected by the Colorado Horse Development Authority funds statewide research, education and advertising that enhances the horse industry in Colorado.

Still have questions?

If any question has not been answered here, please contact us using the form below or call us at (303) 292-4981.


[testimonials category="support-the-horse" hide_source_title="false"]